The Technical Assistance Programme for Sustainable Energy in the Caribbean (TAPSEC) activated its resources in 2020, to aid the CARICOM Regional Organisation for Standards & Quality (CROSQ) to achieve the goals of the CESERMS and the CARICOM Energy Policy, as pertains to quality infrastructure development.
The TAPSEC Project’s objective is to contribute to the establishment of an enabling framework to support national implementation (in this instance relating to QI) of the CARICOM Regional Energy Efficiency Building Code (CREEBC) and regional harmonised CARICOM Energy Efficiency (CEE) Labelling Scheme for domestic appliances. Additionally, the project is to build capacity in CARICOM member states in QI components to implement CROSQ energy efficiency initiatives. The expected outcome will be the establishment of a QI framework to implement the CREEBC and the CEE Labelling Scheme.
Project Components and Impact
The project has executed work in several areas aimed at supporting the Regional Energy Efficiency Labelling Scheme and the CARICOM Regional Energy Efficiency Building Code (CREEBC). These areas include:
- The training of industry professionals in the building and construction sector in the CREEBC compliance
- The sensitization consumers, industry stakeholders and high energy users sensitized through a digital campaign including infographics, posters and Did You Know cards on the REELS
- Sensitisation of hundreds of stakeholders on quality-related topics for energy, covering such areas as climate change, energy sustainability in the region, the labelling scheme, the CREEBC, and much more via a 10-part webinar series
- Translation of the 2018 CREEBC to French to ensure that industry practitioners and stakeholders in Haiti are able to utilize the CREEBC without constraints related to language.
- Provision of energy efficiency labels, specialized printer and equipment to countries involved in piloting the REELS to assist in initiating and implementing national compliance programmes.
- Development of a National Procedures Manual for one new piloting country to guide the compliance of the REELS.
- Technical Assistance Programme for Sustainable Energy in the Caribbean (TAPSEC)
- The European Union (EU)
- The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit GmbH (GIZ)
- The CARICOM Regional Organisation for Standards & Quality (CROSQ)
- The CARICOM Energy Unit